EU Settlement Scheme Launch

1 April 2019

To over 3.5 million EU citizens who have made the UK their home: you are our friends, our neighbours and our colleagues, and our country is all the better for it.

Whilst our future relationship with the EU is uncertain and I understand the anxiety this may cause, I want you to know how much we want you to stay regardless of whether the UK leaves the EU with or without a deal.

EU Settlement Scheme fully open

The EU Settlement Scheme is now officially open. This means that the rights you and your family currently have, including access to employment, healthcare, benefits and pensions, are protected – so you can continue to live your lives as you do now. After a successful launch on Saturday, more than 50,000 applications were made over the weekend. This brings the total number of applications to over 280,000.

Applying to the EU Settlement Scheme is completely free, and the Home Office’s aim is to make it as simple and straightforward as possible. All you need to do is complete a three-step application with a laptop, tablet or mobile device to prove your identity, confirm you live in the UK and declare any criminal convictions.

Let me be clear, we are looking for reasons to grant people status and we want everyone to get the status they are eligible to receive.

Support for everyone

As Home Secretary, I’m determined that no-one is left behind. That is why up to £9m has been made available for supporting more vulnerable people, whether they are homeless, elderly, disabled or unaware of the Scheme so far, to make an application. For those without access to a computer, or lacking the skills or confidence to use one, there will be assistance available in Assisted Digital locations across the country.

The Scheme has already been thoroughly tested. Nearly four out of five of those who have applied did not need to provide any additional evidence or send in their documents for checking.

There are now multiple routes for providing an identity document. For example, you can use the ID Document Check app from the comfort of your own home, post your document to us, or visit one of the many locations where documents can be scanned and verified. We have 1,500 specially trained staff on hand to assess your application.

ID check app on Apple devices

I know many of you will have read that it is currently not possible to use the ID document check app to verify identity on Apple devices. I’ve had numerous conversations with Apple at the highest levels to ensure everyone can use the app. Together we’ve been working hard to find a solution that will allow the app to work on their devices. I’m pleased to confirm that Apple will be making the necessary changes and the app will be working on their mobile and tablet devices by the end of the year.

We’re committed to ensuring that people in every corner of the UK know what they need to do to secure their status. A £3.75m nationwide marketing campaign is encouraging people to apply now, and you may have already seen the adverts in your local area.

We have worked hard to ensure this Scheme provides EU citizens with the certainty they want, and we are confident that it will be a success.

Please do make sure your EU citizen friends and family know about the Scheme. To find out more go to GOV.UK.

Yours sincerely,

Rt Hon Sajid Javid

Settled and pre-settled status for EU citizens and their families

Applying to the EU Settlement Scheme
The scheme will open fully by 30 March 2019. The test phase of the
scheme is open now, but you must meet all the requirements to apply.
The deadline for applying will be 30 June 2021, or 31 December 2020
if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.
When you choose to apply may depend on your circumstances.

How you’ll be able to apply
You’ll be able to complete the application form online using any
device when the scheme opens fully (for example, an iPhone). You’ll
be able to get support over the phone or in person if you need help
doing things online.
You’ll only need an Android phone if you want to scan your identity
document – you can send your document by post if you do not have
access to an Android phone.

What you’ll need
When you apply, you’ll need proof of:
– your identity
– your residence in the UK, unless you have a valid permanent
residence document, or valid indefinite leave to remain in or enter the
– your relationship to a family member from the EU living in the UK, if
you’re from outside the EU

Proof of identity
You’ll need a valid passport or national identity card. If you’re from
outside the EU, you’ll be able to use any of the following:
– valid passport
biometric residence card
biometric residence permit
When you apply, you’ll be able to either:
– scan your identity document using an Android phone
– send your document by post
You can use someone else’s Android phone to scan your document.
You can also visit one of the organisations offering to scan your
document for you. You’ll need to book an appointment and you may
have to pay a fee.
You’ll also need to upload a recent digital photo of your face.

Proof of continuous residence
To be eligible for settled status, you’ll usually need to have lived in the
UK for at least 6 months in any 12 month period for 5 years in a row.
You’ll need to provide proof of this when you apply.

If you’ve not lived here for 5 years in a row you may still be eligible for
pre-settled status.
You can give your National Insurance number to allow an automated
check of your residence based on tax and certain benefit records.
If this check is successful, you’ll not need to provide any documents
as proof of residence. You’ll only need to provide documents if there
is not enough data to confirm you’ve been here for 5 years in a row.
The Home Office will tell you immediately after you apply if you need
to provide any documents. You’ll be able to submit photos or scans of
your documents through the online application form.
Read what documents you can provide to the Home Office if you’re
asked to provide more evidence.

If you have criminal convictions
If you’re 18 or over, the Home Office will check you have not
committed serious or repeated crimes, and that you don’t pose a
security threat.
You’ll be asked about your criminal history in the UK and overseas.
You’ll also be checked against the UK’s crime databases.
If you’ve only been convicted of a minor crime, for example you’ve
had a speeding fine, you’ll still be eligible for settled or pre-settled
You may still get settled or pre-settled status even if you have other
convictions. This will be judged on a case-by-case basis.
If you’ve been to prison, you’ll usually need at least 5 years’
continuous residence from the day you were released to be
considered for settled status.

If you’re from outside the EU

You’ll need to provide proof of your relationship to your EU citizen
family member (for example, a birth, marriage or civil partnership
certificate). You can scan and submit this through the online
application form.
You will only need to provide evidence of your family member’s
identity and residence if you apply before they do. If your family
member applies first you’ll be able to ‘link’ your application to theirs,
using the application number your family member gets when they
If you have a valid permanent residence document you do not need to
provide this proof of relationship or evidence of your family member’s
identity and residence.
You’ll need to provide your fingerprints and a photo of your face at an
application centre in the UK. You will not need to do this if you already
have a biometric residence card, or are 4 years old or younger.

For more information click here.


The Director and Staff of the Polish Saturday School Inverness have the honour to invite Parents, Pupils and Past Pupils, to a special presentation by the pupils of the Polish Saturday School Inverness scio, celebrating Poland’s 100 years of Independence
on 10th November at 1.00pm in the Infants building.

St Joseph’s RC Primary School
King Street IV3 5DG
Light refreshments provided

Low cost direct flights from Inverness to Poland

Dear friends,
I’m starting a petition to try to persuade an airline to fly directly from Inverness to Poland. It would make a huge difference in time and costs if this were possible. I’m hopeful that together with your help we can make life easier for everyone hoping to visit our beautiful country. I plan to suggest two 3 month trials of flights possibly from April to June and November to January 2019, and during Christmas season. With your signatures and support we might make the difference!
Just follow the link to sign the petition!

Click the link to sign the petition.